Monday, April 30, 2007

Central Service

Every day on the way to work I pass a billboard for a hospital that features a new person every month. This month they are featuring a person that works in Central Service. (where all supplies for the hospital are kept) In quotes is the person saying "Everyone in the hospital is integral" I would agree with this wholeheartedly. Sometimes I wonder if the physicians realize how much goes into carrying out their orders. It might seem like the nurses just snap their fingers and its done, but it often takes a combined effort from a variety of people to carry out the order to completion.

Even the people I have never met, help me care for my patients. For example, Diane* in Central Service. I have never met her, but there is something that gets me super excited and relieved when I call down to central service for something (espeially when I'm not sure what it is exactly called) and I hear Diane 's raspy, most-likely a smoker voice answer. Our conversation always starts out the same.

"Central service, this is Diana, how may I help you"

I say "Hi, its Angi from 48. I need the thingee for the thingamajig that goes on the end of the whatchyamacalit. I'm not sure what it's called"

"you mean the..."

"yes, that's it"

"what room, hon?"

"4806 bed 1"

99% of the time, she knows exactly what I am talking about. If I don't realize something comes in multiple sizes, she knows exactly what sizes are available.

One of these days, I need to go down and introduce myself to Diane so I can see how accurate the picture in my head is.

*name has been changed

1 comment:

Meigan said...

Brilliant! Great story, Ang... it actually brought a tear to my eye. I feel the same way about the wonderful lunchtime supervisors and office staff at our school who all help in the education of our children. :-)