Thursday, May 03, 2007

If Elevators could speak

We started watching Grey's Anatomy this season after catching up on the previous seasons on DVD. The elevator on Grey's Anatomy is almost another character. Alot of things take place in the elevator, conversations, exchanges of looks, surgery (it is an unrealistic drama) and even silence. The elevators in my hospital tell a different story.

One of our main Staff elevators has been down for at least a month, if not more. (due to it being old and parts being difficult to come by) This makes the elevator right next to it slow being that everyone wants to get on this elevator. I choose to frequent the elevators around the corner. They go up faster and have less traffic on them. Today however, I may have been converted (ie forced) to taking the stairs for the rest of my nursing career.

I got in the elevator with a fellow co-worker and 4 other people. I pushed the #4 button. Up we went. Have I mentioned this elevator is super duper fast? It must be so fast that I think it got confused this morning. It shot up, then dropped what seemed to be a few feet, then went up a little bit more. We found ourselves up on the 5th floor (one floor higher than it was supposed to go) and I noticed the #4 light had turned off by this point. I looked at my co-worker and said "I think I can handle one flight of stairs down" So, we got out of the elevator, turned the corner and went down the stairs. For the first time I can remember in a long time, the elevator made me tachycardic, not the stairs.

So, now I'm wondering. Tomorrow morning, what do I do? Give the elevator another shot praying it was a freak thing and is fixed or do I just give in, do my body some good and take the stairs? Here's the problem. I am a creature of habit. I may intend to take the stairs tomorrow, but habit will most likely take over. I will park in my same spot in the parking structure, I will use the same outside door I always use. I will walk down the same hallway past the research labs, past the A level CT, past ER and onto the elevator I am so accostomed to taking in the morning without even thinking. Taking the stairs may not even occur to me until the elevator door opens and I get that Dejavu feeling.

1 comment:

Meigan said...

I tagged you. (http://oldfieldadventures.blogspot.com/2007/05/ive-been-tagged.html)