Sunday, October 07, 2007

Forever Friends



Strange how friends come and go. It all depends on what decisions are made in life and where those decisions take us.

One of my best friends from high school got married this weekend. I was blessed to be able to attend Nicole's wedding. It was a very short trip, but worth every minute and every penny. I flew out Friday morning and arrived in Minneapolis spending the evening with my family and touring a cousin's newly purchased home.

Saturday morning I met up with another good friend, Sara, from high school to drive up to the wedding with her and her mom. I have not seen Sara since she came out for my wedding 5 years ago! Strange to be on a road I have not been on for a good 10 years. The drive up to the cities gave us a chance to chitchat and catch up.

The wedding was beautiful. It was in a chapel on a college campus requiring no additional decoration. Being that it was October, the wedding colors were brown and cream and were perfect being that it is technically fall. Even though I think the high temperature that day was almost 90 degrees. (warmer than it was in CA) The leaves have not really changed. My friend was beautiful. The dress was perfect for her and she looked great. It was fun to see her family again.

Through Jr. High and High School all of my friends were Catholic. The wedding ceremony had a mass service which brought back all kinds of memories of a Catholic retreat I went to in Jr. High. (This is the trip where the infamous "peeing in a cup" story comes from) That story is really my all-time favorite "Angi story"

The wedding was at 11:00 and the reception wasn't until 5:00, so we went out to eat with my cousin and her boyfriend. They went off and did their own thing after lunch while we went to get a pedicure and check into our hotel for the night. The reception was at a beautiful historic home on Summit Ave. Dinner was fantastic and it was fun to once again chit chat and reminisce.

It's good to know that while the 3 of us are not as close as those days through High school. Miles separate us with one in Tennessee and the other in Florida, we will always be friends even if from a distance. We had a lot of drama through those years (what girls didn't in high school?) We had a our spats and wondered if we would ever be friends again, but here we were attending her wedding. Seeing what a great man she is marrying and getting teary-eyed knowing that while a lot has changed in 10 years, the joy and happiness we want for each other hasn't. And I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

4 comments:

Meigan said...

Angi, your dress is beautiful! Didn't Nathan go with you?

aroy17 said...

Thank you! It was short sleeved, so I was kind of glad it was hot while we were there. No, Nathan didn't go with me:(

Mici said...

Funny how this event happened my senior year and right now I have the "pleasant" task of writing in all of my co-senior's yearbooks telling them how much I'll miss them when the time comes to separate from them. It really does make you take a step back and apprieate what you have when you realize that you have to part with it.

Micah Preston said...

What a touching story. Feel like I was there. You're a great writer. (come to think of it...i was near you. ha!) Not sure if you flew out on Monday morning when it was raining SO HARD! I was driving in it. whoa. Too bad we didn't really know each other much at my wedding or you could have written a beautiful story about the day. =)