Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Weather or not?

I have been in California now for seven years. I wonder when there won't be a trace of "Minnesota girl" left. There must be plenty left in me because in the last week, I have had a lot of reminders.

One of our Drs. received a page, looked at the number, and said where is 507? Everyone else is looking at each other confused as to what he is asking. I said the first thing that came to my mind: "That's the area code for Rochester, MN" He still looked puzzled. I said "the Mayo Clinic is there." Then it clicked for him.

At work most everyone knows I am not originally from California. The only people that remember exactly what state I'm from are from another state themselves. (i.e. Illinois, South Dakota) Everyone else (that would be all the native Californians) always say, "where are you from again? Somewhere back east, right?"

So it came as no surprise to me at lunch the other day when the conversation turned to how cold it's been. Someone talked about an ice storm "back east" They couldn't imagine how in the world it could rain ice. Of course, I had to tell the "Angi story" of a rain storm we had one year where the bus actually slid right past our house and couldn't stop. We didn't go to school that day. I also tried to explain what its like to have your car sitting outside in an ice storm causing the locks, doors and windows to be iced shut, having to litterally break into your car.

Then, I could not have been more excited this morning. I almost slipped on a sheet of ice! (I almost wish I had, it would have made a better story) The rest of the sidewalk was clear (as always) except for a large part of a driveway where water had frozen and still hadn't melted. I had forgotten what it was like to really watch your step.

I cannot believe I created a post talking about weather. I guess there will always a part of me that is Minnesota.

No comments: