Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Perfectionism

I am realizing how my need for perfection can easily get in the way of me accomplishing anything at all. Ironically, causing me to be far from perfect. It is the fear of not being (or doing something) perfect that paralyzes me from starting or finishing anything. For example, last weekend we went to Oak Glen and bought some apples, apple cider, pumpkins, etc. I made one apple pie, making the crust from scratch and everything. Mmmm, it was delicious! Then, I had a ton of apples left over and I wanted more apple pie and I wanted to give them to a few people as thank yous. I was not excited to make the crusts again, so the apples just sat there for a few more days.

As the apples are sitting there, I kept telling myself "you need to make the crusts so you can make apple pies" But I didn't want to make the crusts. So I kept putting it off. Finally, yesterday, I told myself it was o.k. to buy frozen crusts and just make the apple pies. What is better? Letting the apples sit and rot and not making the pies at all? Or...making the pies with frozen crusts and having a 75% delicious pie? After all, I was planning to make French Apple Pies. Everyone knows that the best part about a french apple pie is the streusel on top. Not the crust on the bottom! So...to make this story short, I decided to use the Marie Calendar brand crust (she makes good pies in the store, how can the frozen be any different? ) And you know what? I made 4 pies. One is in the freezer. We ate one and the other two are being given away. They are delicious! The streusel is everything I had hoped for and the apples are a perfect texture.

So here's my question: Since the pie is 75% delicious, does that make me 75% perfect?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only 75% perfect? Come on, those pies were still 100% and you know it. :) -Brian

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.