Monday, June 27, 2005

My favorite part

We are in the middle of restaining our kitchen cabinets. I was not excited to start this project knowing the kind of mess and nuisance it would create. The cabinets are completed and all we have left is to restain the doors themselves. Nathan and a friend of his from work have been diligently sanding and restaining for the last few weeks. Spending evenings and weekends sanding and staining until sunset. The sanding process requires sanding with 3 different grits of sandpaper. I dread sanding with the first grit or even the second grit, but I am soooo excited when we finally get to my favorite sanding grit: 240 grit.

240 grit is the last one to use to sand the wood giving it that final super smooth feel the wood should have before the stain is applied. I realized something this afternoon, in the garage, while sanding with 240 grit; I enjoy the process of completing rather than starting. I'm not enthused to start a project, but I will do anything to complete it once it is started. I think this new epiphany will help me be more productive. Knowing that if I just start something, soon I will be to my favorite part: The End.

No comments: