Saturday, July 01, 2006

Because You Have To

Parents just might know a thing or two.

When a child is growing up, they often hear "because you have to" as a reason for why something must be done. Nobody really likes the reason, but sometimes there is no better explanation.

I took care of a very sick little boy today. The only good thing he had going for him was #1: he wasn't burning up with fevers like he was yesterday and #2: dedicated, committed, caring, strong, smart parents.

I had a rough day, but those parents had an even rougher day. I felt like nothing was going MY way, but come on, nothing was going THEIR way. Their little boy is in the hospital, with 7 IV pumps on his pole and continual medications/blood products going through his body. 7 days ago, he was riding his little tricycle around the unit. One medication given, in hopes that it would help an ailment of course causes even more side effects.

I once said casually to his mom, as we were changing the umpteenth diaper of the day. "I don't know how you parents do it" She turned to me and said in the most loving voice "Because you have to"

At least I had a better ending to my day (despite leaving an hour late). I had a nurse come on and relieve me of the mess. And she will have another nurse there tomorrow morning to relieve her of hers. But as far as those parents go, they will continue to trade off with rare, yet precious, breaks. No one to relieve them, but each other. All because they have to.

No comments: